Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blood diseases + symptoms confusion?

Basically, my story it pretty confusing, but I'll try to be as succinct as I can. In January, I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia by my (then) family practitioner. I'd been having all the normal or typical symptoms (headaches, fainting, shakiness, pallor, coldness, and the like), and I took an 8-hour glucose test and my doctor confirmed with my mum and me that I was, in fact, hypoglycemic. He also noticed that my I had a low RBC count and that my red blood cells were small. About three months later, he referred us to a hematologist and the hematologist diagnosed me with Beta thalassemia minor. He also said that from the records of my blood tests and all that jazz that there was no indication I was hypoglycemic. We've then switched our family general practitioner, and she also has said that I am "not necessarily hypoglycemic". And by both our current doctor and the hematologist we've been told that thalassemias usually do not have any symptoms. I'm greatly confused about all of these circumstances, and why I'm having symptoms of a condition that apparently don't have with a condition that reportedly has no symptoms. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment